We're hiring. Join us!
Muslim Advocates seeks an individual with experience in financial management, operations, or oversight and a passion for civil rights to join the organization as its Treasurer. The Treasurer, a volunteer position, is an officer of the organization and advises its senior management team and board of directors.
- Understanding of financial accounting for nonprofit organizations.
- Experience providing financial management, operations or oversight in either the nonprofit or for-profit sectors.
- Maintain financial knowledge of the organization.
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Treasurer, including attending two in-person board meetings per year and 6-7 finance committee and board meetings by phone.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serves as an officer of Muslim Advocates, serves on the finance committee of the board of directors, and assists the board in carrying out its financial responsibilities.
- Works with the finance committee, executive director and director of operations and organizational effectiveness to oversee the organization’s finances, policies and financial management.
- Works with the executive director and director of operations and organizational effectiveness to ensure that appropriate financial reports, policies and other information necessary for the board to perform its fiduciary duties are made available to the board on a timely basis.
- Assists the executive director and director of operations and organizational effectiveness in preparing the annual budget and presenting the budget to the board for approval.
- Works with the finance committee and senior management to develop financial policies for recommendation to the board to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization.
- Works with the finance committee and senior management to develop long-term financial strategies.
- Keeps currently informed of legal, regulatory and sector developments relating to the board’s and organization’s financial responsibilities.
In sum, we are ideally looking for someone who has served as a CFO, treasurer, or controller in a for-profit or nonprofit entity and has provided financial guidance to growing organizations.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a volunteer, unpaid position. While this role does not offer monetary compensation, it provides a valuable opportunity to contribute to our mission and to make a positive impact at Muslim Advocates.
In 2005, Muslim Advocates was founded in the aftermath of the passage of the Patriot Act. In the years since, our organization has fought tirelessly to combat systemic, anti-Muslim discrimination.
Muslim Advocates is at a transformational point in its 18-year history. With the recent appointment of Omar Farah as Executive Director, Muslim Advocates is committed to defending the full, diverse spectrum of Muslim communities against abusive state and corporate power. Our approach is to leverage litigation that puts people and social movements first, advocacy that is coalitional and that amplifies the work of organizers across the country, and legislative engagement that pushes policymakers to be accountable to the demands of Muslim and other targeted communities. Through our strategic communications, Muslim Advocates will help shift the often oppressive narratives about Muslim identity.
Muslim Advocates’ organizational path is guided by ongoing strategic planning that will determine the pace and scale of our growth. This is a consequential and exciting time to join our team.
Commitment to Equity
Muslim Advocates is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people with historically marginalized identities to apply for open positions. Muslim Advocates does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, disability, whistleblower status, or any other category protected by state or federal law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online through this link:
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis; the position remains open until filled.
For more information about Muslim Advocates, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.