Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates (MA), a national legal advocacy and educational organization, is seeking applications from law students for Summer 2020 internships in our Washington, DC office. MA interns will participate in a wide range of activities and will join an organization working on the frontlines of some of the nation’s most pressing civil rights issues. Interns will be expected to work full time for a period of at least ten weeks.
Muslim Advocates is a leading national legal advocacy and educational nonprofit organization that has been fighting to promote freedom, justice, and equality for Americans of all faiths since 2005. In addition to conducting legal advocacy, policy engagement, and civic education, MA utilizes targeted litigation in order to protect and defend the rights of American Muslims. Our work includes projects aimed at ensuring religious liberty, challenging discriminatory government policies and practices, holding hate actors accountable, combating unlawful profiling and surveillance, and guaranteeing government transparency. In addition, Muslim Advocates continues to serve as a legal resource aimed at educating American Muslims about the law and their rights as well as promoting their full and meaningful participation in American public life.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct legal research and analysis.
- Draft and prepare legal memoranda and other legal documents.
- Participate in factual investigation and discovery review.
- Create non-legal advocacy materials in support of education and outreach efforts.
- Other projects related to MA’s legal, policy, and civic education work as they arise.
- Current first, second, or third-year law student.
- Strong research, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Desire and ability to work with diverse groups of people in a collaborative work environment.
- Commitment to MA’s mission.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply by submitting a cover letter, resume, references, and brief writing sample (no longer than 5 pages) by email to [email protected] Please include “Summer 2020 Legal Internship” in the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For more information about Muslim Advocates, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org. Internships are unpaid and are limited in number