Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates seeks a dedicated and diligent human resources manager to join our team. The HR Senior Manager will partner with the Deputy Executive Director to ensure a healthy work environment. The HR Senior Manager will have both administrative and strategic responsibilities involving the planning and administration of important functions such as staffing, training, development, compensation, and benefits.
Strategic Human Resources Management
- Manage and own implementation of all key HR processes, including coordinating hiring, onboarding, offboarding, performance management, professional development, promotions, pay adjustments, and more.
- Manage our benefits program, including adding new staff, managing the relationship with our healthcare brokers, troubleshooting any changes or questions from staff, and working with brokers and outside contractors to ensure accuracy and a seamless experience for staff, including during open enrollment.
- Own our compliance program, ensuring MA consults effectively with outside counsel, and understands and is fully aligned with the latest rules, expectations, and best practices in our sector. Coordinates compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Co-design and and help facilitate staff meetings and retreats, including leading on the pieces that build our organizational culture and strengthen interpersonal and cross-team relationships
- Oversee employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Co-develop our vision for building, growing, and retaining a high-performing team for the long term.
- Help us have our finger on the pulse of the culture of the organization, and use your sphere of influence to constantly try to improve our staff experience.
- Serve as a key thought partner to leadership, management, and staff on applying a strong equity and inclusion lens to management relationships and practices, strategically planning team and department structures, and navigating complex performance management issues.
People and Culture
● Strengthen the culture: Ensure a safe, welcoming, and inspiring organizational culture for staff to excel in. Role model and uphold MA’s values of creating an inclusive and equitable working environment.
- Demonstrate embodied leadership: Prioritize taking care of your physical and emotional health as a key component of thriving in your role. Project trust & confidence in your abilities and skills and proactively recognize the achievements and abilities of others.
- Proven management depth in Talent and HR
- At least 3 years of experience in Talent/HR roles in other organizations, with demonstrated understanding of HR best practices and employment-related laws and regulations
- Demonstrated experience leveraging the unique function of the HR department to proactive build more equitable and inclusive work environments.
- Demonstrates an understanding of how values-aligned policies, management practices, and organizational culture can drive towards (or inhibit) equity and inclusion.
- Able to proactively spot where bias may become an issue in policies, practices, and people-management, and is comfortable thought partnering with staff and managers towards actionable solutions when issues inevitably arise.
- Can engage with an eye toward rules and compliance, while still remaining grounded in a people-oriented, value-based approach to talent and HR
- Able to add deep skills in at least two of the following areas: 1) talent strategy, including around equity and inclusion, team structure, recruitment & retention, and talent planning, 2) developing, implementing, and/or improving key HR processes, including hiring and performance management, 3) applying talent and management best practices, including around coaching and mentoring, 4) employment law, including around unionization 5) payroll and benefits administration.
- Ability to manage in complexity
- Able to lean on “traditional” HR knowledge and best practices, while customizing MA’s HR approach to serve the unique needs of our organization
- Strategic and analytical thinker with ability to pivot from big picture to detailed implementation as needed
- Able to operate both independently and consultatively, meaning you prioritize staying directionally aligned and on the same page with your manager and with leadership, but are very comfortable operating in a self-directed, proactive way on a daily basis
- Able to support staff and managers in navigating complex people management situations in a way that feels constructive, values-based, and collaborative
- Ability to operate in a dynamic environment
- Nimble, fast-paced and detail-oriented, bringing a passion for making things work well and an ability to handle a large volume of work impeccably in a high-performing environment
- Can prioritize the work of the team within an environment that may be fast-paced and changing
- Relentlessly flexible, solutions-oriented, and systems-minded, with the ability to adapt to the evolving needs of our growing organization and to think several steps ahead to ensure things run smoothly.
- Cultural Competency
- Understanding of race, gender, sexuality and other aspects of identity, and their intersections, and how that plays out in the work
- Demonstrates self-awareness of their own multiple group identities and their attendant dynamics, and can adapt approach as needed
- Ability to build strong relationships and trust across race, gender, class, and other group identities, both internally and externally
- Ability to communicate in a way that’s respectful and culturally appropriate to the American Muslim community
- Demonstrated experience working in communities with marginalized identities
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $70 – 75K, commensurate with experience. Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive benefits package including full health insurance coverage, fourteen paid holidays, and an employer 401K match.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should submit a resume; a cover letter describing their interest, skills and experience. Applications are being accepted now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Muslim Advocates is committed to recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse staff and welcomes applicants of all gender, sexuality, religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities.
About Muslim Advocates:
Founded in 2005, Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. We ensure that American Muslims have a seat at the table with expert representation so that all Americans may live free from hate and discrimination. For more information, visit www.muslimadvocates.org