Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
This is a temporary, part or full-time internship. Internships are offered for the spring, summer, and fall. A needs-based stipend is offered for full-time internships only.
Muslim Advocates provides expert representation in the courts, the policy making process, and in the public dialogue so that American Muslims and all people can live free from discrimination. We litigate, educate, and advocate to uphold our country’s promise of equal treatment under the law for all Americans — and we get results. We are a big tent organization that recognizes the rich and full diversity of the American Muslim community in race, sex, place of birth, ability, income, education, gender identity, sexual orientation, sect of worship and level of religiosity. Our team is based in Washington, DC. During COVID, this will be a remote position.
The Public Advocacy Intern will work under the supervision of the Public Advocacy Director or another member of the Public Advocacy Department team depending on projects assigned. The Public Advocacy Department is the communications and campaigns arm of Muslim Advocates that engages with the public, visions and executes public pressure campaigns, and grows the public profile of the organization.
We also offer a Digital Advocacy Internship for individuals with an interest in digital organizing and arts/culture.
Roles and Responsibilities
Projects will vary depending on the interest of the candidate and the needs of a fast-paced department and can include advocacy campaign execution, research, writing, outreach, digital advocacy execution, media analysis, event and administrative support, and other projects.
Examples of intern-focused projects include:
Campaign and Advocacy Research and Support
- Research topics of interest to advocacy campaigns, including hate crimes, mosque permit denials, bigotry in governance and political campaigns, police bias, the Muslim Ban and more.
Digital Advocacy Projects
- Assist with online-driven campaigns that include broadcast emails, social media posts, and actions to engage supporters and grow our organizational footprint.
- Assist with management of Muslim Advocates’ online properties, including website, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook pages.
- Assist with special campaigns and projects as needed.
Media Relations Projects
- Assist with the management of the media outreach of the organization in collaboration with key stakeholders and consultants.
- Assists with drafting, editing, and distributing content for the media, including statements, releases, op eds, and emails.
- Assist with managing and executing the organization’s rapid response efforts with the media.
- Provide administrative support to policy department including scheduling, note taking, preparing meeting materials, and other duties as assigned.
- Provide support for events and community meetings, and support outreach efforts
- Participate in team meetings and strategy discussions
- Commitment to Muslim Advocates’ mission.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills – experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Macintosh OS database applications
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and supervisor
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- High level of initiative, resourcefulness, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated interest in civil rights work
- Ideal for those enrolled in a part-time or full-time college or university
- Experience working with grassroots organizations and conducting outreach is preferred but not required
- Familiarity with American Muslim and/or interfaith community issues including but not limited to hate crimes, CVE, and discrimination is a plus but not required
- Comfortable working and being supervised remotely.
Summer internships are full-time (40 hrs/week). Fall and spring internships are part-time (10 – 20 hours per week) or full-time (40 hrs/week). A needs-based stipend is available for full-time internships only.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online through this link: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/38rvelVN4u/Public-Advocacy-Intern. Please submit 1) a resume, 2) a cover letter describing your interest in the Muslim Advocates mission, your skills, and experience, and 3) a writing sample.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.