Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates provides expert representation in the courts, the policy making process, and in the public dialogue so that American Muslims and all people can live free from discrimination. We litigate, educate, and advocate to uphold our country’s promise of equal treatment under the law for all Americans — and we get results. We are a big tent organization that recognizes the rich and full diversity of the American Muslim community in race, sex, place of birth, ability, income, education, gender identity, sexual orientation, sect of worship and level of religiosity. Our team is based in Washington, DC. During COVID, this will be a remote position.
The outreach and community partnerships manager will grow and maintain the organization’s relationship with community organizations, activists, leaders and allies in support of Muslim Advocates’ mission. The successful applicant will have impeccable judgment and communication skills, a willingness to learn about and be an ambassador for Muslim Advocates and its mission, and a commitment to advancing civil and human rights for Muslims of all backgrounds.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support efforts to execute on Muslim Advocates ongoing outreach plan to build power for underrepresented Muslim communities through litigation, community education and advocacy efforts.
- Facilitate and oversee coalition-building activities in support of advocacy initiatives or campaigns, including organizing meetings and sign-on letters.
- Identify events, including conferences, meetings, and community activities for staff participation.
- Ensure organizational continuity and maintenance of relationships with partner organizations, community contacts, clients, and supporters.
- Identify and develop relationships with diverse American Muslim grasstops leaders, public officials, and organizations at the national, state and local level.
- Assist in the creation of outreach-focused and educational public facing materials.
- Engage in private and public communications, including but not limited to phone calls, meetings, videoconferences, emails, and public presentations, in support of Muslim Advocates’ mission.
- Conduct research on issues impacting the American Muslim community as needed for advocacy, outreach, or educational purposes.
- Undertake special projects as directed by the Deputy Director
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Three or more years of community engagement work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English
- Relationship building experience
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- High level of initiative, resourcefulness, thoroughness and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Intellectually curious and able to gather and analyze information from a variety of sources
- Ability to travel frequently and devote flexible hours to meet goals
- Computer proficiency, including knowledge and use of Word, Excel, social media platforms, and internet-based research
- This highly visible role must reflect the demeanor, level of respect, professionalism, positive attitude, and instincts necessary to appropriately represent Muslim Advocates
- A strong commitment to social justice and Muslim Advocates’ values and mission
Compensation & Benefits
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online through this link: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/aqC86r81sp/Outreach-And-Community-Partnerships-Manager.
Please be sure to upload the following materials with your application: (1) a cover letter specifying the candidate’s interest in working with Muslim Advocates and their skills and relevant experience; (2) a resume; (3) a list of three references; and (4) two writing samples (2 – 4 pages each).
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about Muslim Advocates, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.