Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates (MA), a national legal advocacy and educational organization, seeks applications from highly talented and motivated attorneys wishing to join our dynamic and growing legal team as a staff attorney or senior staff attorney. The position will be based in our Washington, DC office, although we will consider remote work for the right candidate. During COVID, this will be a remote position.
Muslim Advocates provides expert representation in the courts, the policy making process, and in the public dialogue so that American Muslims and all people can live free from discrimination. We litigate, educate, and advocate to uphold our country’s promise of equal treatment under the law for all Americans — and we get results. We are a big tent organization that recognizes the rich and full diversity of the American Muslim community in race, sex, place of birth, ability, income, education, gender identity, sexual orientation, sect of worship and level of religiosity. For more information, visit www.muslimadvocates.org.
The staff attorney or senior staff attorney will play a leadership role in litigating cases on these and other issues in pursuit of MA’s mission and priorities. The attorney will also support MA’s broader advocacy efforts. He or she will work with a team of experienced attorneys led by our legal director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage, lead, and support complex civil rights cases in pursuit of MA’s mission and goals, including case development, client and witness interviews, pleadings, discovery, depositions, motions, trials, appeals, and settlements.
- Work closely with teams of staff attorneys, legal fellows, legal assistants, and co-counsel from law firms and other non-profit organizations.
- Build and maintain client relationships with an emphasis on community-based lawyering and client-centered counseling and representation.
- Develop legal strategies to protect the rights of American Muslims and other vulnerable communities.
- Support members of the legal team in their work and professional development.
In short, we are seeking candidates who are thoughtful and skilled litigators, detail-oriented, problem-solvers; candidates must also be aligned with our urgent mission of fighting for freedom, justice, and equality for all.
To be successful in this position, you will excel in the following areas:
- Innovative and thoughtful litigator. The ideal candidate will have experience playing a significant role in litigating complex civil or criminal matters. The candidate will be able to develop novel and creative legal theories and will be skilled at using civil rights laws to successfully advocate on behalf of marginalized and vulnerable individuals and communities.
- Skilled legal researcher, writer, and communicator. The ideal candidate will have outstanding legal research skills and excellent writing that is persuasive with minimal editing required. The candidate should also have excellent oral advocacy and verbal communications skills.
- Effective case management. The ideal candidate will have strong organizational and time-management skills, ability to meet deadlines, and a proven ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Client/community focused. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively maintain client relationships and engage and build relationships with vulnerable communities and other stakeholders.
- Committed to MA’s vision and organizational values. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to freedom and equality for all regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), or any other protected characteristic.
In addition, candidates should have a J.D. from an accredited university; 3 or more years of professional experience is preferred (though not required). Candidates should be admitted in good standing to the bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia. Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English (other languages are a plus). Candidates should be willing and able to travel as the demands of the position would require.
Muslim Advocates is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, individuals from diverse faith (or no faith) backgrounds, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation & Benefits
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online through this link: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/ujjJYqXkZh/Staff-Attorney-Or-Senior-Staff-Attorney.
Please be sure to upload the following materials with your application: (1) a cover letter specifying the candidate’s interest in working with Muslim Advocates and their skills and relevant experience; (2) a resume; (3) a list of three references; and (4) a 5 – 10 page legal writing sample.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.