Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates (MA), a national legal advocacy and educational organization, seeks applications from dedicated and talented individuals wishing to join our dynamic legal team as a legal assistant. While the MA staff is currently working remotely due to COVID-19 safety measures, the position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
Founded in 2005, Muslim Advocates works in the courts, in the halls of power, and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. In addition to policy engagement, public advocacy campaigns, and civic education, MA utilizes targeted litigation in order to protect and defend the rights of American Muslims and other marginalized and vulnerable populations. Our work includes, among other things, challenging discriminatory surveillance and profiling programs, working to ensure that Americans of all faiths can live free from unlawful discrimination, and holding hate groups and hate actors accountable. MA also serves as a legal resource to educate American Muslims about the law and their rights and to promote their full and meaningful participation in American public life.
The legal assistant will be responsible for assisting in all aspects of Muslim Advocates’ civil rights work in our D.C. office. Among other things, the legal assistant will work closely with attorneys and other staff on investigations, client outreach, communication, factual research, finalizing and filing court pleadings, trial and pretrial preparation, and settlement negotiations. The legal assistant will also be responsible for certain administrative and clerical tasks such as retrieving and sending mail and packages and support for ordering supplies. The legal assistant, like all members of the MA staff, will also be expected to be a team player and to support and assist other teams with urgent or “all hands on deck” tasks and projects. The legal assistant will work with a team of experienced attorneys led by our legal director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Report to the Legal Director and support the legal team on all aspects of litigation, including case development, pleadings and briefs, and cite-checking, proofreading, formatting, and creating tables of authorities/contents for legal documents.
- Handle the service and filing of legal documents in various courts.
- Maintain the organization’s case files, litigation docket tracking sheet, and a calendar of court deadlines.
- Serve as a liaison between clients, attorneys, opposing counsel, and the public.
- Assist with and attend court hearings, depositions, and trials as necessary.
- Maintain client contact to gather evidence for cases; direct questions to appropriate attorneys; and provide updates on status of cases as appropriate.
- Review transcripts and documentary evidence, and organize, track, and extract information from these materials.
- Conduct factual research using a variety of internet and hard-copy resources and compile that research into written memos and reports.
- Provide administrative support to the litigation team, including scheduling meetings and preparing expense reports, and assist with other matters as needed.
- Work collaboratively across departments to provide assistance with building and maintaining relationships with community members and grassroots and partner organizations to create a robust pipeline for client intakes and all aspects of MA’s advocacy.
- Other projects related to the fulfillment of MA’s mission as they arise.
Qualified candidates for this position will possess:
- Strong writing and research skills, including attention to detail.
- Excellent project management skills; the ability to track and meet deadlines, work well under pressure, resourceful, and takes initiative and ownership of work to ensure project and tasks through completion.
- An ability to work both independently and as part of a team, including a willingness to take on a variety of tasks as needed to support the office.
- Patience, empathy and ability to be a good listener
- Able to handle sensitive information with care and discretion.
- A commitment to Muslim Advocates’ mission.
- Fluency in other languages a plus.
- Willingness to travel as work requires.
Muslim Advocates is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, individuals from diverse faith (or no faith) backgrounds, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation & Benefits
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online through this link: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/HH0aWaf6A5/Legal-Assistant.
Please be sure to upload the following materials with your application: (1) a cover letter specifying the candidate’s interest in working with Muslim Advocates as well as their skills and relevant experience; (2) a resume; (3) a list of three references; and (4) a writing sample.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.