Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
About Muslim Advocates
As experts with deep experience in the courtroom and powerful connections in Congress and Washington DC, Muslim Advocates is a thoughtful voice that ensures the concerns of American Muslims are heard by leaders at the highest levels of government. As a watchdog of justice, Muslim Advocates uses the courts to bring to task those who threaten the rights of American Muslims.
Muslim Advocates’ team of legal advocates, policy experts, and communications professionals successfully do the following:
- Counter anti-Muslim hate by challenging bigotry and hate crimes
- Empower communities by strengthening American Muslim charities and educating people about their legal rights
- Fight discrimination with high impact lawsuits against those who wrongfully target American Muslims
Muslim Advocates creates strategic coalitions inside and outside of government to tackle the most urgent issues facing the American Muslim community.
Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power, and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. We ensure that American Muslims have a seat at the table with expert representation so that all Americans may live free from hate and discrimination.
About the Position
The Director of Development will lead and manage all aspects of Muslim Advocates’ fundraising activities to ensure that the organization raises the annual and special funds needed to fulfill its vital mission. S/he will manage a growing team and collaborate closely with senior staff and board members. The Director of Development will be an integral part of the organization, serving as a member of the senior team and working closely with the Executive Director and the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
Muslim Advocates relies on private philanthropy for its entire operating and program revenue. The current annual fundraising budget is $3.5 million, and support comes from a combination of foundation, individual and corporate funders. Muslim Advocates is currently looking to strengthen its development structure and strategically grow its annual philanthropic revenue.
The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director.
- Develop revenue goals and fundraising strategy to reach those goals and successfully manage and execute on the fundraising plan;
- Build a robust major gifts program that focuses on individual, foundation and corporate donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and upgrading;
- Execute customized strategies to cultivate and solicit prospects and donors with an emphasis on face-to-face meetings;
- Manage and coach a growing development team;
- Work with staff to prepare and provide monthly, quarterly, and annual development status reports and evaluate the annual financial needs and budget of the organization;
- Direct strategic participation of key staff and board in development activities;
- Collaborate with team members and program staff to enhance all aspects of major gifts program;
- Identify donor funding opportunities and philanthropic goals that match Muslim Advocates programmatic priorities;
- Manage a portfolio of major donors and foundations; and
- Remain current in programmatic activities to effectively engage donors
- At least 4-7 years of senior leadership experience including a demonstrated ability to set goals and manage and mentor diverse teams
- 5+ years of relevant experience in nonprofit philanthropic development
- Experience in social justice, civil rights, interfaith, and/or American Muslim nonprofits preferred
- Success in raising significant individual gifts ($25K or more), corporate and foundation support
- Experience with upgrading donors and building a donor pipeline
- Adept at dealing with sensitive political and social situations
- Experience preparing budgets and producing reports (updates and projections)
- Ability to pivot and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Willing and able to travel approximately 30 percent of the time
- A demonstrated interest and commitment to the mission of Muslim Advocates
- A Bachelor’s degree
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
Muslim Advocates is committed to recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse staff and welcomes applicants of all gender, sexuality, religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities. Job applicants and current employees are evaluated solely on their ability, experience, and the requirements of the job.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: