Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates is continuing to grow its development program and is now seeking an ambitious Development Officer to drive prospect and donor engagement across individual and institutional donors.
About Muslim Advocates
Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. Muslim Advocates ensures that American Muslims have a seat at the table with expert representation so that all Americans may live free from hate and discrimination. As experts with deep experience in the courtroom and powerful connections in Congress and Washington DC, Muslim Advocates is a thoughtful voice that ensures the concerns of American Muslims are heard by leaders at the highest levels of government. As a watchdog of justice, Muslim Advocates uses the courts to bring to task those who threaten the rights of American Muslims.
Muslim Advocates’ team of legal advocates, policy experts, and communications professionals successfully do the following:
- Counter anti-Muslim hate by challenging bigotry and hate crimes
- Empower communities by strengthening American Muslim charities and educating people about their legal rights
- Fight discrimination with high impact lawsuits against those who wrongfully target American Muslims
Muslim Advocates creates strategic coalitions inside and outside of government to tackle the most urgent issues facing the American Muslim community.
About the Mission
Muslim Advocates envisions a world in which equality, liberty, and justice are guaranteed for all, regardless of faith, and in which the Muslim American legal community is vital to promoting and protecting these values. In pursuit of this vision, Muslim Advocates’ mission is to promote equality, liberty, and justice for all by providing leadership through legal advocacy, policy engagement, and civic education, and by serving as a legal resource to promote the full and meaningful participation of Muslims in American public life.
About the Position
Muslim Advocates relies on private philanthropy for its entire operating and program revenue. The current annual operating budget is $3 million, and support comes from a combination of foundation, individual and corporate funders. Muslim Advocates is currently looking to strengthen its development structure with a strategic focus on untapped opportunity with individual and institutional donors.
With ambitious growth goals for the next 5 to 10 years, investing in the development team and building capacity is a shared priority. As 60% of the operating budget comes from individual donors with the average gift exceeding $500, there is a significant opportunity for this Development Officer to focus on engaging, upgrading, and expanding the existing prospect base.
Muslim Advocates seeks a Development Officer to support donor and prospect engagement with 350-400 individuals and institutions across programs, events and campaigns. Responsibilities include aspects associated with annual fund, campaign, and project-specific appeals that incorporate communication, database, research, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and event management. The position reports directly to the Director of Development and strategically collaborates across multiple departments.
The Development Officer will embrace Muslim Advocate’s fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, which requires a commitment to excellent time management, project management and communication skills. This position will ideally be based in Washington, DC, but candidates outside the DC area will be fully supported in remote work with in-person expectations during events.
- Collaborate with and support the Director of Development in meeting organizational, reporting, and leadership development priorities.
- Lead donor engagement activities in key cities and regions across the country, with board members and volunteers, and support event sponsorship strategy, with outreach including 1) National Iftar, 2) National Events(s), 3) smaller regional events, and 4) donor specific events either live or virtual.
- Build, cultivate, manage and steward a portfolio of donors and prospects with a focus on the annual gift pipeline and upgrading donors.
- Perform prospect research and analysis; create donor strategies to identify, engage and build new and existing relationships with individuals, family foundations, and institutions.
- Create and implement effective strategies across channels (email, mail, social media, website, in-person and online meetings and events, digital marketing), in collaboration with other departments as needed, for a well-rounded fundraising program that retains current and acquires new donors.
- Manage prospect and donor activity using Salesforce and associated reporting tools; manage acknowledgement and fulfillment of gifts, pledges and donor grant reports.
- Create, write and produce collateral materials, emails and donor updates such as overviews, presentation slides, website content, sponsorship packets and campaigns.
- Passion and commitment to Muslim Advocate’s mission and values
- Minimum 3-5 years nonprofit development experience
- Demonstrated track record of meeting fundraising targets
- Ability to build prospect and donor relationships
- Knowledge of development best practices and donor stewardship
- Commitment to a collaborative management process
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
- Ability to follow through with and meet project and deadline commitments
- Experience with technology systems, research databases, CRMs and other technology-based tools
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Able and willing to travel and work during evenings and weekends – usually 2-3 times a month
Muslim Advocates is committed to recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse staff and welcomes applicants of all gender, sexuality, religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: [email protected]
For more information, please visit www.developmentguild.com.