Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates seeks a full-time (30-40 hour per week) intern to support our development department in Washington, DC. Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power, and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks.
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented student with strong communication and writing skills to spend their time with us as an intern during the summer or fall 2019. This position is a great fit for students who are interested in exploring a nonprofit career and want to learn more about how nonprofits raise funds, develop relationships with donors, and communicate with their supporters. Interns will work directly with our development team and support a variety of projects.
Roles and Responsibilities
Donor and Foundation Relations Support:
- Assist with gift processing and donor acknowledgment and thank you letters
- Support event planning, logistics and execution
- Help with direct mail campaigns
- Support maintenance of the donor database
- Research potential grants and individual donors
- Develop social media copy
- Interview staff and clients for features in e-newsletters and social media
- Copy-edit donor materials
- Familiarity with databases, especially Every Action and Salesforce, a plus.
- Basic analytical and problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate and achieve results with supervision, including ability to interact professionally with key internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Strong organizational skills required, with an ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently, and meet deadlines in a timely fashion.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Friendly and professional demeanor on the phone and in writing, with an ability to speak and write clearly in English.
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse colleagues; connections to or experience helping to engage culturally diverse audiences and partners a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
- Commitment to our mission.
Flexible, based on class schedule. Full-time and part-time available. Minimum of 10-20 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, a list of references, a 1-2 page writing sample, along with a cover letter describing your interest in the Muslim Advocates mission, your skills, and experience. Email your application to [email protected] using the subject line: “Internship Application.” Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.