Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
This is a temporary, part or full-time internship. Internships are offered for the spring, summer, and fall. A needs-based stipend is offered for full-time internships only. We encourage applications from BIPOC and traditionally underrepresented students.
Muslim Advocates provides expert representation in the courts, the policy-making process, and in the public dialogue so that American Muslims and all people can live free from discrimination. We litigate, educate, and advocate to uphold our country’s promise of equal treatment under the law for all Americans — and we get results. We are a big tent organization that recognizes the rich and full diversity of the American Muslim community in race, sex, place of birth, ability, income, education, gender identity, sexual orientation, sect of worship and level of religiosity. Our team is based in Washington, DC. During COVID, this will be a remote position.
The Development Intern will work under the supervision of the Chief Development Officer. We are seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented candidate with strong communication and writing skills. This position is a great fit for students who are interested in exploring a nonprofit career and want to learn more about how nonprofits raise funds, develop relationships with donors, and communicate with their supporters.
Roles and Responsibilities
Interns will work directly with our development team and support a variety of projects.
- Support logistics of Fall event planning including onsite activities, vendors, etc.
- Support coordinating sponsor benefit delivery and deadlines
- Support virtual and live event program, speaker and honoree outreach
- Support website and online content creating and updates
- Conduct research on individual, foundation and corporate prospects and donors
- Create and update prospect and donor profiles
- Update, create and maintain prospect and donor database records
- Support tracking and evaluation of development goals and metrics
- Support database list knowledge and expansion
- Provide administrative support to the development department as needed.
- Participate in weekly staff and departmental meetings
- Commitment to Muslim Advocates’ mission.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Friendly and professional demeanor on the phone and in writing, with an ability to speak and write clearly in English.
- Basic analytical and problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Ability to collaborate and achieve results with supervision, including the ability to interact professionally with key internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Strong organizational skills required, with an ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently, and meet deadlines in a timely fashion.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse colleagues; connections to or experience helping to engage culturally diverse audiences and partners a plus.
- Proficient in MS Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with fundraising/CRM databases, especially Every Action and Salesforce, a plus.
- Comfortable working and being supervised remotely.
Summer internships are full-time (40 hrs/week). Fall and spring internships are part-time generally a 10 – 20 hours per week commitment. A needs-based stipend is available for full-time internships only.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online through this link. Please submit 1) a resume, 2) a cover letter describing your interest in the Muslim Advocates mission, your skills, and experience, and 3) a writing sample. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.