Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates seeks an individual with experience in financial accounting, treasury management, operations, or oversight and a passion for civil rights to join the organization as its Treasurer. The Treasurer, a volunteer position, is an officer of the organization and advises its senior management team and board of directors.
Founded in 2005, Muslim Advocates is a national civil rights organization working in the courts, in the halls of power and in communities to halt bigotry in its tracks. We ensure that American Muslims have a seat at the table with expert representation so that all Americans may live free from hate and discrimination. For more information, visit www.muslimadvocates.org.
The role and requirements of the Treasurer position are as follows:
- Understanding of financial accounting for nonprofit organizations.
- Experience providing financial accounting, treasury management, operations or oversight in either the nonprofit or for-profit sectors.
- Maintain financial knowledge of the organization.
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Treasurer, including attending two in-person board meetings per year and 6-7 finance committee and board meetings by phone.
- Serves as an officer of Muslim Advocates, serves on the finance committee of the board of directors, and assists the board in carrying out its financial responsibilities.
- Works with the finance committee, executive director and director of operations and organizational effectiveness to oversee the organization’s finances, policies and financial management.
- Works with the executive director and director of operations and organizational effectiveness to ensure that appropriate financial reports, policies and other information necessary for the board to perform its fiduciary duties are made available to the board on a timely basis.
- Assists the executive director and director of operations and organizational effectiveness in preparing the annual budget and presenting the budget to the board for approval.
- Works with the finance committee and senior management to develop financial policies for recommendation to the board to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization.
- Works with the finance committee and senior management to develop long-term financial strategies.
- Keeps currently informed of legal, regulatory and sector developments relating to the board’s and organization’s financial responsibilities.
In sum, we are ideally looking for someone who has served as a CFO, treasurer, or controller in a for-profit or nonprofit entity and has provided financial guidance to growing organizations.
If you’re interested in this role, please send 1) a resume, and 2) a cover letter specifying your interest in working with Muslim Advocates and your skills and relevant experience to Director of Operations and Organizational Effectiveness Kanya Shabazz at [email protected].
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis; the position remains open until filled.