Working to Halt Bigotry in its Tracks
Muslim Advocates is seeking to fill a newly created position of Policy Director to lead our legislative and other policy advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels.
This position is an opportunity to engage with policy makers, NGOs, industry executives, and constituents to help bring about real legislative change. The Policy Director will have a proven ability to foster coordination and cooperation among diverse – and even competing – groups. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload without dropping the ball. This position reports to the Deputy Director and is based in our Washington, DC office.
- Design and implement a strategic legislative and policy program at the federal, state, and local level to advance Muslim Advocates’ priorities.
- Identify, track, and recommend organizational positions on legislative and other policy initiatives that impact the rights of American Muslims and civil rights generally.
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials, their representatives, and staff.
- Manage the organizing department to elevate grassroots voices in the organization’s policy advocacy efforts and collaborate with the legal department to identify systemic challenges our clients face needing policy change.
- Prepare written materials in collaboration with the Public Advocacy director, including action alerts, talking points, issue briefs, policy reports, and website content.
- Cultivate and manage an effective policy advocacy team.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to tackle big complex problems, generate smart, innovative approaches and not afraid to think outside of the box.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and confidence of high level constituents, including legislators and coalition partners.
- Experience effectively managing advocacy targeting the Hill and Executive Branch.
- Effective advocacy writing that is tailored to policy makers and legislators.
- Proven organizational leadership experience, including capacity to guide strategic planning and ability to link long-term goals with day-to-day program implementation decisions and needs.
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory and personnel management experience.
- Civil rights expertise and experience are plusses but not required.
- JD required.
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should submit a resume, cover letter describing their interest, skills and experience; and 3 writing samples (policy memos, analysis of legislation, etc). Applications are being accepted now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please click on this link to apply: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/7aoTOTsAQy/Policy-Director.
Muslim Advocates is committed to recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse staff and welcomes applicants of all gender, sexuality, religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities.
About Muslim Advocates:
Muslim Advocates is a leading national legal advocacy and educational nonprofit organization founded in 2005. Our mission is to use legal advocacy, policy engagement and education to promote and protect equality, liberty and justice for Americans of all faiths, and to promote the full and meaningful participation of Muslims in American public life. For more information, visit http://www.muslimadvocates.org