Washington, DC – The following is a reaction from Scott Simpson, public advocacy director at Muslim Advocates, regarding President Donald Trump’s announcement today that Mike Pompeo will replace Rex Tillerson as secretary of state:
“Mike Pompeo has made a career of bigotry and hate. This announcement should concern every congressmember and American who values religious freedom.
- Accused American Muslim leaders of being “potentially complicit” after the Boston Marathon terrorist attack;
- Sponsored a Capitol Hill legislative briefing from ACT for America, the nation’s largest anti-Muslim hate group;
- Received the “highest honor” award from ACT for America;
- Claimed that Muslims “abhor Christians…and will continue to press against us until we make sure that we pray and stand and fight”; and
- Advocated to halt refugee resettlement.
This not a man who can be trusted in the cabinet, and we urge members of the Senate to speak up against this announcement.”
Muslim Advocates is a national legal advocacy and educational organization that works on the frontlines of civil rights to guarantee freedom and justice for Americans of all faiths.