February 23, 2018
Director of Operations & Organizational Effectiveness
Muslim Advocates is seeking to fill a newly created position of Director of Operations & Organizational Effectiveness to help guide the organization through an exciting period of growth and impact.
In a nutshell, the Director of Operations & Organizational Effectiveness will be responsible for ensuring the organization is working like a well-oiled machine. This includes leading our annual goal-setting process and performance systems, managing the recruiting, hiring and retention of all staff, and generally ensuring our operations are efficient and effective.
The Director of Operations & Organizational Effectiveness will report directly to the Executive Director and be a part of the senior management team. The position will be based in either our Oakland, CA or Washington, DC office.
The responsibilities of the Director of Operations & Organizational Effectiveness fall into two buckets:
1. Organizational Effectiveness
- Lead the organization’s annual goal-setting process and ensure ongoing assessment and evaluation throughout the year
- Ensure smooth and effective communications throughout the organization and across teams, including helping design and lead staff meetings and staff retreats
- Manage the operations of the organization’s senior leadership team, including regular meetings and quarterly step-backs
- Serve as the hub of our talent needs and staff performance, coordinating searches and helping identify and recruit great people to join our team
2. Finance and Operations
- Manage our operations, HR (benefits, systems, and processes), and financial staff, vendors, and consultants, and determine how the structure of the team needs to change as we grow
- Drive the organization’s annual budgeting process, track finances and grant spending, and oversee production of monthly and quarterly financial reports
- Ensure legal compliance and manage risks, including insurances and data security, and proactively identify and flag potential trouble spots
In short, we are seeking candidates who are strong managers, detail-oriented, problem-solvers, and financially competent, as well as aligned with our urgent mission of fighting for freedom, justice and equality for all.
To be successful in this position, you will excel in these areas:
- Managing a high-performing team: You are highly results-oriented, with a proven track record of managing a team to achieve results and a demonstrated ability to set and manage ambitious, yet achievable goals. You have an ability to generate trust, respect, and followership of staff and colleagues.
- Detail and systems oriented: You have a track record of developing systems and processes to manage work effectively. You are comfortable digging into the nitty gritty and have a fine attention to detail and accuracy. You have the ability to track a lot of moving parts and manage complex projects.
- Problem-solving: As the organization grows rapidly, issues or roadblocks arise, from the mundane to the complex, that need smart, strategic solutions. You are able to develop and implement thoughtful approaches, including both short-term, in-the- moment fixes and longer term, systemic solutions, and to create systems that will help build a strong team and increase efficiencies and overall effectiveness of the team.
- Financially competent: You have had experience working with numbers, spreadsheets, and managing a budget for a major program or organization. You have the ability to translate programmatic goals and strategies into budgets, track and analyze progress, and make smart recommendations on financial decisions. You also understand the importance of timely processing of income and expenses and how a strong financial department is crucial to an organization’s viability.
- Values alignment: You are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and have the flexibility to adapt and switch gears when opportunities or needs arise. You are a strong owner of work and a self-starter who is able to deliver as an individual performer, while also being a good team player. You are also happy to work behind the scenes to make your colleagues’ work easier.
- Cultural competency: You have experience working in diverse teams and creating equitable and inclusive environments. You are able to build strong, trusting relationships across a diverse team, and to consider and adapt to perspectives beyond your own to strengthen the results of the team.
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
To apply, candidates should submit a resume and cover letter describing their interest, skills and experience. Please email your application with “Director of Operations & Organizational Effectiveness” in the subject line to [email protected] Applications are being accepted now and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Muslim Advocates:
Muslim Advocates is a leading national legal advocacy and educational nonprofit organization founded in 2005 and operating in Oakland, CA and Washington, DC. Our mission is to use legal advocacy, policy engagement, and education to promote and protect equality, liberty and justice for Americans of all faiths, and to promote the full and meaningful participation of Muslims in American public life. For more information, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.