Saturday, May 16, 2015 | 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Harvard Law School | Cambridge, Massachusetts
Muslim Advocates, in partnership with the New England Muslim Bar Association and Muslim Justice League, invites you to our next Legal & Financial Educational Seminar for 501(c)(3) Nonprofits & Mosques.
This instructional event featuring top-level expert attorneys and accountants is aimed at the leaders of mosques, nonprofits, and charitable organizations—including social services groups, schools, medical clinics, soup kitchens, international relief & humanitarian aid groups, and educational & arts organizations—that serve the Muslim, Arab, Middle Eastern, and South Asian communities.
We invite all board & executive committee members, imams, directors, senior staff, key volunteers, attorneys, and accountants to attend.
- To learn more about past seminars, click here.
- To learn more about our Program to Strengthen Muslim Charities, click here.
Issues addressed in this educational seminar include:
- Nonprofit Governance 101 – Aimed as a comprehensive primer on 501(c)(3) nonprofit issues, attendees hear directly from industry experts on nonprofit formation, reporting obligations, duties under federal & state laws, and other critical legal nonprofit issues.
- Financial & Accounting Best Practices – This session provides attendees with a strong overview of nonprofit accounting, budgeting, record keeping, and other financial best practices.
- Government Community Engagement Programs – What American Muslim community leaders need to know about the government’s Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) outreach programs.
- Nonprofit Legal Compliance
- Issues Related to Anti-Muslim Hate, and More
Speakers Include Attorneys, Nonprofit Experts, and More
- Mohamed Sabur, Director of the Program to Strengthen Muslim Charities at Muslim Advocates
- Mary Beckman, attorney and former chief of the Non-Profit Organizations/Public Charities Division at the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office
- Liz Reinhardt, Attorney at the Law Offices of Elizabeth S. Reinhardt, and former Assistant Attorney General at the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office
- Tim Warren, CPA at CliftonLarsonAllen, one of the largest accountancy firms in the U.S.
- Rebecca Lenn, Director of Outreach at Media Matters for America, a national media monitoring center
- Madihha Ahussain, Staff Attorney at Muslim Advocates
- Shannon Erwin, attorney and Co-Founder of the Muslim Justice League
- Adil Haq, Staff Attorney at Muslim Advocates
- More speakers to be confirmed soon!
For More Information
If you are interested in learning more information about this event, please contact us at (415) 539-0550 or [email protected].
If your law firm, accounting firm, or business is interested in sponsoring this event, please contact our development team at (415) 653-1897 or [email protected].
Most attendees represent volunteer-run nonprofits, so we have made sure to limit the cost of attendance to a nominal amount, and do offer a group registration discount to offer this important service to as many charity leaders as possible. If you feel the cost of registration would present an economic hardship, please contact us to discuss a reduced fee arrangement.
A special thank you to our sponsors for this seminar:
Kurt Hemr of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP