December 31, 2010
Annual Report 2010
Muslim Advocates Accomplishments – 2010
Since its founding in 2005, Muslim Advocates has quickly established a strong local and national reputation and networks with key stakeholders, including lawyers, community and mosque leaders, government officials, the media, and allies in the national security human rights field. In 2010, we continued to grow, hiring key staff and formally launching key programmatic activities. The following are some highlights from 2010:
- The Obama Administration made special mention of Muslim Advocates for our role in the reversal of TSA policy targeting travelers from 13 Muslim-majority nations.
- The Obama Administration invited Muslim Advocates to an exclusive meeting at the White House to share our views on the recent Supreme Court vacancy.
- Muslim Advocates is the only Muslim organization to testify before both the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives on civil rights issues affecting American Muslims.
- 400 mosques and charities benefited from Muslim Advocates unique program dedicated to strengthening Muslim charities through live seminars, webinars, and technical assistance on legal compliance.
- 50,000+ community members viewed our educational video for dealing with law enforcement, Got Rights? Protecting Yourself & Your Family at Home & the Airport. (Click here to watch “Got Rights?”)
- Muslim Advocates trained 100 attorneys and are ready to represent community members approached by the FBI.
- Muslim Advocates urged the U.S. Attorney General to intervene The Obama administration intervened in an important legal case on behalf of the Muslim community in Murfreesboro, TN, defending the community’s right to build a mosque, to do so.
- In December, Muslim Advocates partnered with the ACLU to file a complaint with the Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security — the Department’s top internal watchdog — to demand an end to religious questioning by Customs & Border Patrol agents at our nation’s airports and borders of travelers perceived to be Muslim.
- Finally, Muslim Advocates was pleased to host US Attorney General Eric Holder — our nation’s chief law enforcement officer. We invited him to step forward and use the full force and authority of the federal government to stand up for religious freedom and against hate. By his presence and his words at our annual dinner December 10th in San Francisco, Attorney General Holder proclaimed his commitment to defending the safety and freedoms of all Americans, regardless of faith.